Monday, September 30, 2013

Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup..Brussels Sprout Bruschetta and Cheesy Garlic Bread

I am all for comfort food and for me fall is all about comfort.  I went to our local farmers market this past weekend and while there we also stopped in to the indoor market.  Anyway, while I was there I came upon a soup that was Pumpkin and Sweet Potatoes.  I thought to myself, Delicious!  Of course, then I thought, I can make that.  So seems how today is a good day for comfort food I decided to try my hand at a new type of soup.  This is what I came up with. 
P.S.  You can't have soup without bread! So I decided to make a brussels sprout bruschetta and cheesy garlic bread, (that ones for my daughter. :) 
Enjoy!





Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup



2 Tbs. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. chopped onion
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 c. pumpkin puree
2 c. sweet potato puree
6 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp.  cinnamon
1/4  tsp. nutmeg
pinch of sea salt for taste

In a large pot saute' oil, garlic, onion and brown sugar for a couple minutes or until sugar has dissolved.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.  Puree the soup a couple of cups at a time and then continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.  Serve right away or move soup to a crock pot to keep warm until ready to eat.  I garnished mine with bacon and mozzarella.  

Brussel Sprout Bruschetta

12 oz. cooked brussel sprouts, finely chopped
1 lb. bacon, cooked and chopped
1/3 c. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
french bread, thinly sliced
mozzarella, optional



Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Spray each side of bread with cooking spray.  Lay then out on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until crispy.  In a frying pan, saute' brussels, bacon, garlic, and onion for about 8 minutes.  Evenly distribute the brussels mixture over the bread and top off with cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
I've used the brussels sprout recipe before only I made egg rolls out of them.  I thought they would be good as a bruschetta too....I was right. ;)

Cheesy Garlic Bread



1/3 c. butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
mozzarella 
french bread

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Spray each side of bread with cooking spray.  Lay then out on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until crispy.  In a small sauce pan melt butter with garlic.  Brush garlic sauce over bread, top off with cheese and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.




No comments:

Post a Comment