Friday, September 19, 2014

Harvest Soup

Well fall is right around the corner, if it hasn't already reared its beautiful head.  So that means it 's time for yummy fall foods and since I'm having a baby within the next five weeks, I thought I would get a head start on soups I can freeze.  Enjoy!



Harvest Soup

2 1/2 c. butternut squash
1 1/2 c. baking pumpkin
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs olive oil
2 large carrots, grated
3 c. chicken  broth
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. pumpkin spice

To prepare the squash and pumpkin, preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cut the squash and pumpkin in  half and clean out the seeded area.  Bake for 1 hour or until the skin pulls away easily and a knife can run through easily.  Set aside to cool before peeling away the skin.

In a frying pan, combine oil, brown sugar, garlic and onion.  Saute' for about five minutes and medium heat.

Using a food possessor, puree squash, pumpkin, onion and carrots until smooth.  In a large sauce pan combine puree mixture, broth, cream and pumpkin spice over medium to high heat, bringing to a boil.  Stir occasionally.  Reduce heat to a simmer for 20-30 minutes so the soup can thicken, also stir occasionally.  


I served mine with a turkey sandwich, because I like to dip my sandwiches in my soup.  However. it taste fantastic on its own as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment