Thursday, May 9, 2013

Granola Bars

I love to bake, my love for cooking first started with baking cookies with my mom.  Over time it has expanded out and I started experimenting with all kinds of food. So its no surprise that I would even dabble in making granola bar, or how my 3 year old would call them, "noga" bars.  I love it when she says that, and she loves her "noga" bars.  
My sister-in-law asked me recently if I had a good recipe for protein bars, because she is trying to save some money, her hubby is a big eater.  I call him a foodie!  Anyway, so I looked over my recipes and threw some stuff together to create, "noga" / protien bars.




Granola Bars

2 c oats
1 c wheat flour
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c canola oil
2 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c peanut butter
3/4 c honey
1/2c  raisins
1/2 c cut chopped nuts, of your choosing
1/2 c butterscotch chips
1/2 c semi sweet chocolate chips



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.  In a large bowl stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Next, add in the canola oil, egg whites, and vanilla.  Stir until completely incorporated.  Then, add peanut butter and honey and sir until well blended.  Finally, sir in the rest of your extras.  Go bananas and add what every you like.  These, "extras",  are just what I had laying around.  I'm always adding new things to my granola bars, for example dries fruit.  Just have fun with it!  Now, press the mixture into your prepared pan and bake for 24-28 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.  Let you granola bars cool completely before cutting them into slices and removing from the pan.  Makes about 16.


Before baking


After baking



  

No comments:

Post a Comment